Tuesday, 20 September 2011 13:45

Work permit in Kenya

Written by  David
Rate this item
(1 Vote)

A work permit in Kenya is officially called an “entry permit”. Entry Permits are issued to any Non-Kenyan wishing to engage in employment in Kenya whether in gainful employment or voluntary service.

The Entry Permits issued by the Department of Immigration are classified from A to M. These classifications are meant to cater for all manner of persons seeking to stay in Kenya for different periods and reasons.

The entry permits are issued under the Citizenship and Immigration Act which was passed in August 2011 as part of the operationalization of our new Constitution. This Act replaces the former Immigration Act and the Citizenship Act among others.

The following are the various classes of Permits and their respective requirements:
Class A
This permit is issued to a person who is offered specific employment by a specific employer who is qualified to undertake that employment.

•    Copies of academic/professional certificates along with the CV.
•    Evidence that the organization failed to fill the vacancy from the local labour market.

Class D
This class of Entry permit is designed for a holder of Kenya Dependant’s pass who is offered specific employment by specific employer who is qualified to undertake that employment.


•    Holder of dependant pass.
•    Copies of academic/professional certificates along with the CV.

Class E
This class is for Missionaries wishing to undertake mission work in Kenya. The Entry permit is issued to a member of missionary society approved by the Government of Kenya and whose presence is beneficial to the country.

•    A copy of registration certificate of the organization.
•    Academic and professional certificates of the applicant.

Class F
This class of work permit is solely for persons wishing to invest in Agriculture and Animal Husbandry in Kenya.

•    Proof of land ownership or leasehold interest in land for the purpose.
•    Proof of capital available for the purpose.
•    Clearance from relevant Kenya Government Agencies.

Class G
Issued to persons who intend to engage in prospecting for minerals or mining.

•    One should obtain or is assured to obtain the necessary licenses and registrations.
•    For renewals current license held for prospecting minerals and copy of PIN is required.
•    Proof of sufficient capital or resources for investment.

Class H
Entry permit issued to investors in trade or business (other that a prescribed profession)

•    Documentary proof of capital to be invested/already invested.The  minimum is100,000 US dollars or equivalent in any other currency.
•    Registration certificate of the company OR certificate of incorporation.
•    Copies of personal and company PIN (Personal Identification Number) if business is running.
•    For renewals; audited accounts for previous 2 years and a certificate of tax compliance from the Kenya Revenue Authority.
•    Security Bond issued by a reputable Bank or insurance company.

Class I
This class of work permits is tailored for those persons wishing to invest in the manufacturing sector.

•    Copy of license to manufacture your goods.
•    Proof of funds for investment (manufacturing) US dollars 100,000 or equivalent in nay other currency.
•    Copy of the registration certificate for the company.

Class J
Entry permit issued to persons wishing to practice certain prescribed professions.

•    Proof of membership to a prescribed profession.
•    Copies of academic and professional qualifications.
•    Copies of personal PIN (Personal Identification Number)

Class K
Entry permit issued to persons who have an assured income derived from sources outside Kenya and undertakes not to accept paid employment of any kind.

•    Documentary proof of assured income is required.

Class L
Entry permit issued to retired residents in Kenya.

•    The applicant should have had a residence certificate for a continuous period of not less than 10 years.

Class M
Entry permit issued to Conventional Refugees.

•    Recognition letters from UNHCR and Department of Refugee Affairs.

•    This Permit is issued gratis.

. Read more

Last modified on Thursday, 18 April 2013 11:41

Related items (by tag)

blog comments powered by Disqus

Today weather forecast

Wet seasons in Kenya is between March through to June, October and November. Dry in January, February and July to September.



Talk to us

Latest Tweets

Join Our Fan Page

Advertise Here


  • What to observe in Kenyan wildlife

    Kenya has a diverse and unparalleled range of animal species, the huge herds of elephants, zebras, giraffes, lions, leopards and cheetahs ,hyenas you name it.

    Mostly found in the open savannah, the animals roam freely, making them easy to observe. As visitors enjoy the exciting experience of watching these amazing creatures up close, all from the back of your jeep, there are several things to observe.


  • Registering business in kenya

    All businesses in Kenya must by law be registered .There are several ways one can register a business:
    a. Sole proprietorship.
    b. Partnership.
    c. Limited Liability Company.

  • Adoption of children in Kenya

    Adoption of Children in Kenya is governed by the Children's Act.

  • Marriage in Kenya

    Marriage in Kenya is celebrated under any of several laws namely Christian (under the African Christian Marriage and Divorce Act), Islamic, Hindu or Traditional marriage.

  • Non governmental organization in Kenya {NGO}

    One way of carrying out projects for helping communities or corporate social responsibility or indeed Christian work is by registering a not-for-profit organization.

  • Work permit in Kenya

    A work permit in Kenya is officially called an “entry permit”. Entry Permits are issued to any Non-Kenyan wishing to engage in employment in Kenya whether in gainful employment or voluntary service.

  • Buying Property in Kenya

    Buying property in Kenya is fairly straightforward. However owing to the many laws governing land in Kenya some expertise is needed when purchasing property.

  • Obtaining East African visa

    Kenya is a member of East Africa community that currently have five members, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi.

  • Best time to see animals in Kenya

    Best time to see animals in parks is during the dry season, between January to March, and July to October.

  • New visa & permit fees reviewed!

    A notice issued at the immigration department July 2012 indicated diplomatic 48 page passport will cost Sh7,500 up from Sh6,000, ordinary 48 page passport Sh6,000, 64 page Sh7,500 while East African one will now cost Sh940.


Sponsored Advertisement